Before I enrolled at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, I asked this same question, which makes sense, since it's really only been in the last ten years that Health Coaches, and Functional Medicine have become the future of healing. Why? simply because western medicine address symptoms, while Health Coaches address the root cause. While we are not Doctors, and do not prescribe medicine, we heal people through nutrition, which doctors are not trained to do. You might be thinking, well that's what a nutritionist or a dietician is for, which is true to an extent, but with a crucial piece missing; the rest of you. Food is only a piece of a very large and complex you, where the cause of your illness or discomfort could be from a job that doesn't fit you, a toxic relationship, or your spiritual being. We call this primary food, because we believe it contributes more to a person's health than the food you eat, which is no accident, we call it secondary food.
What is the Role of a Health Coach?
- We are wellness mentors, offering a safe space for you to share honestly about areas of your life that don't feel healthy; diet, relationships, career, spirituality, physical activity
- We support your goals with weight management, food cravings, sleep, energy, stress management, and digestion, just to name a few
- We place a strong focus on behavioral choices along with the core principals of your diet and overall health; we encourage positive changes in the way that is right for you, with your personal wellness goals leading the way
What is Not the Role of a Health Coach?
- We are not doctors, nutritionist, dieticians, therapists, or personal trainers
- We do not diagnose illness, or prescribe medication, although some of us work with doctors to reduce or eliminate the need for medication
- We do not recommend any changes in your medication
I've recentely started working with a client, who had been to several doctors with terrible abdominal pain, and they all told her she had leaky gut. Knowing there was something else going on inside of her, she came to see me. After working together now for 5 weeks, she looks like a different person. She has color back in her complexion, she has gained some much needed weight, and she feels so much better.
Most of us know what we need to be eating, or doing, and with the right support, accountability, motivation, and trusted health knowledge, you can find the foods and habits that allow you to take responsibility for your own results. My hot pilates instructor always says "reasons, or results"; my results always feel closer when I'm not doing it alone.